You can also use bleach to sanitize your drinking water. For that, you use 8 drops of bleach per gallon of clear water and 16 drops for cloudy water.
Starting in the kitchen, thoroughly wash all countertops and food prep areas with hot soapy water, if hot water is available. Then rinse and make a sanitizing solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of drinking water or the cleanest and clearest water available. Apply the sanitizing solution to all the countertops and food preparation areas and allow to air dry.
What to do: If you catch it early, patches of mold less than 10 square feet large can be treated with a homemade solution of 1 cup of chlorine bleach per gallon of water. Wear an N-95 disposable respirator, goggles, and heavy-duty gloves. For larger outbreaks, or if the ventilation system is contaminated, call in a mold-remediation professional.
Once you properly clean containers, fill them with potable, or safe, drinking water. All public water supplies are already treated and should be free of harmful bacteria. However, as an additional precaution, it is recommended that you add 5-7 drops, about 1/8 teaspoon, of chlorine bleach per gallon of water stored. This precaution protects you against any lingering organisms in storage containers that may have been inadvertently missed during the cleaning process.